Thursday, January 02, 2014

Savory Scones

I have trouble sleeping at night and it takes me forever to fall asleep. This is a problem. I looked up ways to fall asleep faster. I will try them tonight. I woke up around 11 today. Roomba woke me up. Aside from that, I would have probably kept slumbering. Nonetheless, I awoke and did the laundry. And made some Savory Scones. This is what I was thinking about last night perhaps.

We had some leftover cheese from Christmas and I figured I would make some savory scones. I made two kinds: Havarti Dill (top) and Goat Cheese Dill with Lemon Honey Glaze (bottom). 

Honestly, I am not a fan of goat cheese. That is why I made the Lemon Honey Glaze to mask the goat cheese flavor. Frank likes it though and that is why we had goat cheese for the cheese spread.

This savory scone recipe is just like my peach scone recipe. Instead of adding fruits, I added cheese and herbs. Also, I added buttermilk for some extra flavor. This scone isn't a tough, dry scone. Rather it is moist and soft on the inside; crunchy and crispy on the outside.

It snowed like crazy today, it was described as the "lake-effect." According to Wikipedia, it is when "cold winds move across long expanses of warmer lakewater, providing energy and picking up water vapor, which freezes and is deposited on the leeward shores." Thus, "this uplifting can produce narrow but very intense bands of precipitation, which deposit at a rate of many inches of snow each hour, often resulting in copious snowfall totals."  It was like a white out.  I captured some of it, but it was hard.  
 
Probably about 10 inches outside my doorstep.
All the snow on the stairs.
 
Our car is buried in a foot of snow!  I don't think I've left our condo for 5 days now.  Hopefully, tomorrow I can go to the market, running out of supplies here!  

Here's the recipe.  I also want to warn you that since you are combining just to incorporate, the dough is going to be sticky.  I floured generously.  You can mix it a little more and it should be okay.  It is also okay to knead it a little bit, like you would a flaky pie crust.  Enjoy!!!

Savory Scones: Havarti Dill & Goat Cheese Dill Print
Yields: 8-10 scones
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut in small chunks
1 cup of milk
½ cup of buttermilk
¼ cup dill, finely chopped if fresh
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup havarti dill cheese, chopped mini cubes
½ cup goat cheese, broken up into pieces
Lemon Honey Glaze:
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp honey
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Sift dry ingredients for the scones: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour mixture. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.  Add dill.
4. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk and 1/3 cup buttermilk. Fold everything together just to incorporate. Do not overwork the dough unless you want tough scones. Gently fold in Parmesan cheese.
5. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts placing the other half in another bowl.  Place havarti dill cheese in one and the goat cheese in the other.  Gently fold until incorporated.  Note:  You can use all the dough with one type of cheese of your choice or a combination.
6. Generously flour your work surface and your hands and turn the dough out. Shape the dough into a rectangle about 12" x 3", about 1 ¼" thick. Cut the rectangle into 4 (3") squares. Then cut each square on the diagonal to make 8 triangles.  Note: You can also use a cookie cutter and make circular shape scones.
7. Place the scones 2 inches apart on a silicone mat for best results and easy clean up. Brush the tops with buttermilk.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.
For Lemon Honey Glaze: (Optional)
In a small bowl, mix lemon juice and powdered sugar.  Microwave for 1 minute.  Add honey and mix.  

No comments :