Monday, January 06, 2014

No muffin top muffins

Today was very cold.  Very, Very cold!  When I woke up this morning, it was -15, with windchill it was -42.  OMG!
I think this is the coldest I have ever experience in my life.  Naturally, it took me a while to rise from my warm haven.  I had to turn on the heater to warm up the place.  A lot of snow has built up on our window as well.  It looks like frosted decorations.  I am in shock!  It is pretty though.

I made muffins today.  These are my "No muffin top muffins."  What does that mean?  Physically, they still possess a muffin top, but eating them will not result in a muffin top.  It is a healthy take on muffins, they are 145 calories.  These are healthy calories that you will be consuming.

This recipe was inspired by Corina Tomaselli.  Her muffin is actually 95 calories.  She uses egg and stevia in her recipe, which I opted not to use.  I am not a fan of artificial sugar and I wanted to lower the cholesterol content.  Thus, I substituted the eggs for chia seeds and used brown sugar instead.  I will probably rework this recipe in the future.  I would add another banana and lose the blanched almonds.


Apple Banana Oatmeal Muffins Print
Yields: 12 muffins
Ingredients:
1 ½ cup oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp flax seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
¼ cup applesauce
2/3 cup yogurt
1 mashed banana
1 cup chopped apples
¼ cup sliced blanched almonds
Directions:
1. Grease muffin pan or use liners. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oven rack in the center position.
3. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, flax seeds, and chia seeds.  Whisk until well sifted and set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine applesauce, yogurt and mashed banana and mix well.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add wet mixture.  Stir until moistened and incorporated. Fold in chopped apples and almonds.
6. Scoop into a well-greased muffin tin.  It’s okay to make big scoops and have mounts.  This should make 12 muffins.
7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Let muffins cool for 5 minutes in their tins before removing to cook on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts
Calories 145; Fat (g) 3.3; Cholesterol (mg) 0.8; Sodium (mg) 203.5; Potassium (mg) 45.3; Carb (g) 23.8; Fiber(g) 3.5; Sugar (g) 3.5; Protein (g) 5.3  

No comments :