Monday, September 23, 2013

Peach Scones

I really was planning on making blueberry scones, but blueberries were expensive so I decided to make peach ones instead. These days I have more free time on my hands so this was today's project. Unfortunately, I was out of baking powder so I had to run out to the store and get some.
The secret to making scones crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside is to gently handle it and keep the butter cold. I kept it in the freezer already cubed up.

The peach scones turned out pretty well, they had a nice brown bottom and the inside was moist and soft. I am not a big fan of hard scones. Below is the recipe that I used. Enjoy!

Peach Scones Print
Yields 8 scones

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted buter, cold, cut in small chunks
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup peaches, cut into cubes

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Sift dry ingredients for the scones: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Using a fork or a pastry blender cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour mixture. You can also use just your fingertips if you have neither or those. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
3. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Fold everything together just to incorporate. Do not overwork the dough unless you want tough scones. Gently fold in the peaches.
4. Generously flour your work surface and your hands and turn the dough out. If you are not using a scone pan, shape the dough into a rectangle about 12" x 3", about 1 ¼" thick. Cut the rectangle into 4 (3") squares. Then cut each square on the diagonal to make 8 triangles. Place the scones on a silicone mat. Brush the tops with a little milk.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

1 comment :

Cindy said...

Oooo I may make this as I have all the ingredients at home! Yay! Thanks Sheila! I will make sure to keep the butter cold!