Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Green Pancakes

From my last entry, I mentioned something about making pancakes.  I did end up making them.  They were green pancakes.  I flavored them with pandan and that is how I got the lovely green hue.  Of course, when you cook them, they will have that lovely golden brown color.  Since I made buttermilk pancakes, they tend to be fluffier and you can see the rise and hence the green color.

Pandan is commonly used in Southeast Asian cooking as a flavoring.  It is most commonly sold as pandan leaves, pandan paste, or pandan essence.  It smells like coconut to me, but more mild, yet very aromatic.  I have been experimenting with this flavor recently and it is very agreeable to most people.

I made Pandan Buttermilk Pancakes.  I have also been trying to use flaxmeal more to substitute butter, oil and eggs in my recipes.  I halved the original amount of butter and replaced it with flaxmeal.  It probably result in a more dense nutty flavor.  I was happy with the end result.


Pandan Buttermilk Pancakes Print
Yields: 8-9 pancakes

Ingredients:
Dry
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
6 tsp flaxmeal

Wet
2 eggs separated
2 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp pandan paste

Directions:
1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside. 
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites, buttermilk and pandan flavoring.  In another bowl, whisk egg yolks and melted butter. 
3. Make a hole in the middle of your dry ingredients to pour in the buttermilk mixture and egg yolk mixture.  Combine until just moistened.  Do not overwork the batter for it will result in tough pancakes. 
4. Lightly butter your griddle or pan and wipe excess with a paper towel.  You can also preheat the oven to 200 degree F to keep the cooked pancakes warm until you completely cook the rest of the batter. 
5. Measure out 1/3-1/2 cup of the pancake batter, cook on medium-low heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Usually when you see bubbles around the edges of the pancake they are ready to be flipped. 

6. Serve with your choice of toppings (fruit, butter, maple syrup or such).  Enjoy!

No comments :