Thursday, March 13, 2014

Draw My Life

Today was our first day teaching our Apprenticeship class. We are teaching students about Comics. Our first lesson plan included: the history of comics, the difference between cartoons and comics, and touching on global issues.  We realizes that 6th and 7th graders don't really care about global issues. That kinda makes me sad, but at the same time, I do understand where they are coming from.  I am hoping that at the end of this apprenticeship they will care more about such thing.  I was going to give up talking about global issues, but now that I think about it; this exposure will be good for them.

Frank did a great job correlating how the effects of pollution can result in global warming and thus effect the environment, such as the livelihood of animals causing their possible extinction.  I even threw in a the Superman example. You know how the people of Krypton caused their self destruction through means of abusing the world they lived in. We were trying to get them to understand as how they can use these global issues as themes for their comic. Does that sound boring?  There's Captain Planet who wants to save the planet.  Who else?  Smoky bear is a fictional character helping to prevent forest fires.  And the list goes on.

During some points in the class, the students were out of hand.  It is very interesting learning behavior tactics from our Teacher Lead and the Citizens Teacher Group.  They are really good at it and I really commend them for all their efforts and hard work.  I am a bit more passive, so it was interesting seeing Frank regulate the kids too.  I think some of the chaos caused a twinge in his neck.  We went out for frozen custard after class as a treat.

We did a fun activity with the students.  I created a 4 panel comic template.  In this, we wanted the students to create a Draw My Life Comic Strip.  This is a great activity for getting to know each other and at the same time reflect about your own life.

Here's my Draw My Life Comic Strip

This is Frank's Draw My Life Comic Strip

No comments :