Friday, March 07, 2014

Baking Bread

Lately, I been craving French Toast.  There is one key ingredient when making french toast; you need bread.  The most delicious bread to use for French Toast is some form of brioche.  My Hokkaido Milk Bread is very similar to a brioche bread; just less eggs and butter.

Today, I made Hokkaido Milk Bread so that tomorrow or the next day, I can make some French Toast. I was never really a big fan of French Toast until I had it at Marston's restaurant in Pasadena.  They top their french toast with corn meal flakes and the crust really stands out and keeps it from being soggy. It is absolutely delicious!

Another place worth mentioning is Starling Diner in Long Beach.  They stuff their french toast baguette with mascarpone cheese and it is out of this world.  I made my own version once and it was delicious.  I might attempt something similar when I make french toast.

I made a loaf of bread and 4 little buns in the form of a brioche bun.  I cooked them for about 20 minutes.  The loaf takes about 30 minutes.  It is also important to watch them because when they start to brown, you want to loosely cover them with foil.  I love how these get so big in the oven.  When you first put them in, they aren't as big as how they turn out.  I also like to use an egg wash because it gives them that golden brown color and bread like top.  When they come out of the oven, I brush them some melted butter.

Here is how the buns turned out.  I shaped them like a brioche because I wanted to use my brioche molds.  And I enjoy little buns.
Here's what the texture looks like.  It is quite elastic and you can see the layers of softness and fluffiness.  
 
Fresh Bread in all its glory.  It smells so good in the house right now. Makes me hungry blogging about this.  Off to munch on some bread.  YUM!

No comments :