Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Alterations

A couple of Christmas's ago, Frank bought me a sewing machine.  It wasn't exactly my Christmas gift, more like a belated birthday present.  It has come in very handy.  I've altered a couple of his pants. Yesterday, I altered his trouser using the Blind Hem Technique with my sewing machine since I had the blind foot.  

I was thinking about taking a sewing class to learn all about the features of my sewing machine.  That sounds troublesome though because it is so cold and I just don't want to leave the house when it is too cold. I sound so lazy, but single digit weather is painful for someone that grew up in warmer climates.  
My next project is to shorten the sleeves on Frank's suit.  Boy that is going to be a lot of work!!!! Especially the button details.  Alterations can be pretty pricey.  We altered two suits and it was like $150 or something.  From then on, I decided to take on these DIY projects.  Wish me luck on that suit sleeve shortening, I might attempt it tomorrow.

Today is Ash Wednesday.  Typically this is when Lent begins for Catholics.  I grew up Catholic. However, I am not a practicing Catholicism these days.  I always found church boring and would fall asleep in church.  It was something I did because I was told to go to church.  Perhaps, that light bulb has not touched me yet.  I have been on pilgrimages and there were enlightening, but I find it all to be forced in the sense that I have to want to be there and not guilted or commanded to make a presence. That is my peace on that.  

Anyways, I have decided to give something up for lent.  I decided to give up shopping.  I have a closet full of clothes.  I find this to be beneficial because it is easy on my wallet and it will keep me from buying more clothes that won't fit in my tiny closet.  I also need to do some spring/winter cleaning to clear out clothes that I am no longer wearing.  

No comments :