Friday, November 15, 2013

Pancit

Pancit or Miki is one of my favorite things to eat. I grew up having this during special occassions like Christmas or Birthdays. I have watched my Dad make it, but never really made it myself. Nowadays, I am trying to recreate the dish. Sadly, my Dad has passed on so I cannot pick his brain for the recipe. Fortunately, my aunts are still around so they sometimes make it for me. When I get the chance I am going to ask them to teach me how to make it.

I have made several attempts at Pancit and here is how I did it. This time around I used the Excellent brand of Pancit noodles. Alternatively, you can also use bihon instead. There is actually no meat in this version, usually there is some pork or shrimp. I didn't thaw any so I used tofu instead. I am actually not a big meat eater so this works for me.

I used about half a pound of Firm Tofu (half of the package) and cut them into cubes.

These are the vegetables that I used: snow peas, carrots, onions and mushrooms. I think I used about a pound or less (I actually don't remember, made this a while ago) of the snow peas with the ends cut of. Two carrots and 1/4 of an onion in julienne slices. Half a package of mushrooms sliced.

These are the ingredients.

Put some oil in a wok and saute garlic with the onions. Saute for 1-2 minute or until browned.

Then add remaining vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and soy sauce (maybe about 1-2 tbsp). Then let cook for 3-5 minutes. Add Tofu and mix. Let cook for 3-5 minutes, add a little water if it looks dry. Then transfer into a bowl.

Add 1 cup of chicken broth into wok and cook pancit noodles until noodles are tender or until broth is absorb. Transfer 2/3 of the cooked veggies back into the wok and mix. Transfer into a serving bowl and top with the remaining 1/3 of the cooked veggies and serve.

And there you have it, Pancit! I was quite happy with how this turned out. Previously, I used oyster sauce, I omitted that this time around and liked it much better. Next time, I am going to try a different kind of noodle.

No comments :