Friday, November 15, 2013

Egg Custard Tarts....a work in progress

Egg Custard Tarts are absolutely delicious. I still am on a quest to find the tin pans to cook them in. For time being I have been using my brioche tins, but they aren't cutting it. I mean, they work, but there is always room for improvement. I am still looking for the right recipe. I totally messed up on the crust. I think I needed more patiences and didn't have the right water dough to hold my butter dough.

I recently made a flaky pie dough, I might try using that...perhaps. Something to try in the future. I was quite happy with the filling. I might use more eggs next time though. Also, a work in progress. For now, I am sharing the filling recipe. This works well when you have the right amount to crust to filling ratio.

Egg custard filling recipe:

3 eggs

3 1/2 tbsp milk

1 cup 1 tsp water

2/5 cup of sugar

Steps:

1. Make simple syrup by combining sugar and water and heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and set aside.

2. Once simple syrup is cooled, combine with milk and whisk.

3. In a bowl, whisk eggs and add milk mixture. Whisk to combine.

4. Sieve mixture twice. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Making the filling is pretty easy. What makes a delicious egg custard tart is having the right balance of filling and crust. The crust balances out the filling and vice versa.

My first attempt. The crust was too thin and not flaky. The filling was good. Could be less sweet or more eggy.

I doubled up on the crust here. Now too much crust but came out better. Word to the wise, be patient when making the crust.

No comments :