Friday, October 11, 2013

Starting from scratch.....

Have you heard of the saying, "I made it from scratch." Well, I made these from scratch. It's true, it does taste better when you make it from scratch. Yesterday was a day in the kitchen! I am kinda sore from today.

I wanted chessy corn muffins so I whipped up a batch, but from the Jiffy corn muffin mix. I added cheese to make it chessier, but the texture was too crummy. So I realize that if I want some delicious corn muffins, I am going to have to make it from scratch. That's the lesson here. But I must add, if you don't have the time, the box mix is a good substitute. These days, I have all the time in the world, so its no excuse for me.

Frank really likes apple pies so I decided to give it a try. I watch cooking/baking videos on youtube and that is where I get some recipes and techniques. We had some apples as well, so why not. I think it's also the season for apple picking.

The recipe I used for the crust is from Ina Garten. I also want to reference Laura in the Kitchen; I watched her video to get a visual of how the crust should look like. I wanted a flaky crust, so the secret is you have to work fast and keep everything cold. It is actually really fast and easy to make when you use a food processor. It is the clean up that takes longer. I would highly suggest making your own pie crust. This is how mine turned out.

I was pretty happy with how this turned out. With this recipe you have to refrigerate it for at least 30 mins before using it.

For the Apple Pie recipe, I used one from Eugenie Kitchen. I didn't use the lemon juice though because my apples did not need it. I used about 4 apples. The eggwash will give the pie a nice shine and I sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar to give it more taste and color. Skip the cinnamon if you don't like it. This is an exception for me, I am not usually a fan of cinnamon. It is actually pretty simple to make. I went with a lattice top because I though it looked pretty. See.

It just requires patience because you have to wait 2 hours to let it cool before you can eat it. Oh the torture! If you cut it to early the juices with run and you will have a soggy crust. Patience! Here's how it turned out.

I also made some Bulgogi because I was making some Chapchae. I've never made Bulgogi before, so I found this website and used it as a concrete to make my version of Bulgogi. Instead of ribeye, I used steak but cut it in strips.

Bulgogi Recipe:

1 steak cut in strips

⅓ cup of soy sauce

3 T sugar

1 T sesame oil

3 cloves of garlic, minced

¼ tsp of red pepper flakes

2 pinches of black pepper

¼ medium onion, halved and sliced into medium moon shaped slivers

3 green onions including the white parts, finely sliced into small pieces

1 T sesame seeds

Cooking time!

1. Combine and whisk soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and garlic in a bowl. Once sugar dissolves, pour into steaks, add red and black pepper. Cover and let marinate for an hour in refrigerator.

2. Heat up wok (or pan) with oil on high. Add meat with marinade. Cook for 2 minutes then reduce to medium heat and add onions. Heat for another 2 mins until meat is cooked. Then top with sesame seed.

This is what the meat looks like once its marinated. It absorbs all the seasoning for a tasty piece of meat.

And here is the finished product.

Next time, I might blog about chapchae, until then.....

No comments :