Thursday, October 24, 2013

Recovery

I have been sick since last week, but it really hit me on Tuesday. I was congested and my ears were crazy popping. It sucks when you have all this snot and you blow your nose and your ears pop. It's Thursday now and I have been resting, ears minimally popping and congestion has gone down. Still sound nasally though. I think it is due to my allergic rhinitis. For which I ran out of my Rx. I am too lazy to go to the doctor just yet, since I have yet to find one. I substitute it with a saline solution. I think that is sufficient. I was actually able to be more productive today. I put some garlic ginger chicken in the crock pot for dinner and made mini spinach quiches. Overall, much better than the past two days where I slept most of the day.

I was looking up crock pot recipes and this is where I ran across the mini quiche recipe. I reworked a recipe from Pillsbury. I used my left over pie crust dough from when I made apple pie. Which was Ina Garten's perfect pie crust recipe. You can also use the puff pastry ones from the store if you are lazy. I substituted the half-and-half with 1/2 tbsp of melted butter and milk to fill up 1/2 cup. I didn't have any on hand so this works.

Ingredients:

Left over pie crust dough or 1/2 portion of store bought pie and pastry dough

2 eggs

1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/2 tbsp melted butter with milk up to 1/2 cup portion

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt or garlic salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

9 oz chopped spinach (can be frozen too)

3 tablespoons chopped green onions

Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Knead dough until softened and no longer crumbly. Roll out and use a 2 inch round circle for mini pie crust. Use flour as needed. Make sure to extend dough 1/4 inch above edge of cup.

2. In medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in half-and-half, cheese, garlic salt and pepper. Stir in drained spinach and green onions. Spoon about 1 tablespoonful mixture into each crust-lined cup.

3. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before carefully removing from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or cool. Store covered in refrigerator.

I let it cool for about 5 mins before transferring it onto a cooling rack.

This is how the quiche turned out.

Next time, I make this, I am going to use a Puff Pastry Dough like for Egg Custard Tart and probably use the molds for it as well, perhaps. Also I wouldn't use the seasoned salt. I thought it was too salty. I might swap for onion powder instead. Enjoy!

No comments :