Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Honey Oat Bread

This morning I woke up with absolutely no expectations.  Those are the best days because your day is unwritten.  I was thinking about dusting the house; I ended up not doing that. I'll be dusting tomorrow I suppose.  

The weather was favorable so I decided to make some bread. Around the 60s is perfect because it doesn't get too hot in the kitchen.  And I was really impressed with the first rise.  I think I finally perfected this proofing stuff.  My second rise resulted in a favorable proof.  I was very happy with the results today.  Most of the time, I tend to go rogue with recipes, but today, I followed it to a tee.  

I adapted this bread recipe from Laura in the Kitchen.  She has some really great recipes. So I would recommend checking her out.  She has a youtube channel where she shows you step by step how to make things.  It is very helpful.  

If you are craving homemade bread, this is a great one and it is super easy to make.  Your home will smell divine and it will make you smile.  


Honey OaT Bread Print
Yields: 1 loaf

Ingredients:
1-1/3 cup warm water
2 ¼ tsp yeast
¼ cup honey
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 cups bread flour
1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/3 cup milk powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp honey
2-3 tbsp oats

Directions:
1. Combine warm water, yeast, honey, and butter in a small bowl and stir.  Let sit for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
2. Using a stand mixer bowl, add bread flour, milk powder, salt, and yeast mixture. 
3. Using the dough hook attachment, knead the dough for 12 minutes on setting 6-8 or until it comes together. (Start off slowly so you don’t get a flour cloud).
4. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and continue to knead until the dough is nice and smooth.
5. Lightly grease a large bowl and place the dough in the greased bowl, forming the dough into the shape of a ball.  Coat the top with some oil to prevent getting a film on top of the dough. 
6. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm draft free spot and let rise for an hour or until it has doubled in size. 
7. Grease a 9X5” loaf pan with some oil and set aside.
8. Form the dough into a loaf by rolling out the dough into an 8X8 and rolling it like a jellyroll.  Pinch the seams together and place it in the greased loaf pan seam side down.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise for another hour or until it doubles in size. 
9. Lightly brush the top with honey and coat with oats.

10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 40 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Rotate halfway through and if the bread starts to brown before it is done, loosely cover it with foil. Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments :