Friday, May 23, 2014

Citizen Schools

Yesterday, we had the WOW! Spring Showcase 2014.  Over the past few months, Frank and I have been Citizen Teachers for Citizen Schools teaching a Comic Apprenticeship.  This was a very valuable experience that I would recommend.  If you have some expertise and want to give back to youth, this will be a most rewarding experience.

Over the past few months, I have learned a lot from these students. It brings me back to my middle school days and what life was like back then.

Citizen Schools is an after school program targeted at low-income communities, so on top of regular school hours, these students have a supplemental post session.  To learn more about how you can make a difference, click here.

At the end of our apprenticeship, there is a WOW! event in which the students demonstrate what they have learned in their apprenticeship.  Our students created their very own Comic Books.  They have a lot of imagination and some came up with really great stories. I am definitely going to miss seeing their faces!
WOW! Presentation
Comic Book Covers by the students
First Day at Burger King: loved the passion of the comic artist!
Big Foot vs. Chewbaca Part 2: This student made two, I was so impressed!
Robbed: a comic about Bob and Bob.
Chi-Town Shy Guy: graffiti art/sending a message
The Missing Book: very well done, like all the work and though put into this.
Pancake and Attack of the Waffles: Great story, very well done!
I really enjoyed reading their comics and more importantly, I loved how they enjoyed reading each others.

No comments :