Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cheese Rolls

I made Cheese Rolls today. I was attempting to make the ones similar to the cheese rolls from Porto's or Goldilocks. Overall, they turned out pretty well. The only thing I would do differently in the future is drop the egg from my filling recipe. The egg made it taste more eggy than a savory cheese. I didn't use too much sugar, about 2 tbsp of powdered sugar. I used the left over pie crust that I made for Thanksgiving as my pastry dough. You can also buy the store bought puff pastry.

I borrowed the recipe from the blog of The Red Apron. She has great pictures and instruction as to the construction of the cheese roll. Alternatively, I also used Kraftibakes blog as a reference as well.

I am still working on a recipe, this is what I came up with and will try in the future.

Cheese Roll Recipe Test Kitchen Recipe

Homemade Puff pastry (usually left overs from when I make pie, or Flaky pie crust), alternatively you can buy store bought puff pastry

4 oz Cream Cheese at room temperature

2 tbsp of powdered sugar

1 egg, beaten (to brush)

granulated sugar (to sprinkle)

1. Thaw puff pastry in the refrigerator the night before. Once thawed, roll out puff pastry in 8 square. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.

2. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and powdered sugar. Using a mixer, blend well until smooth and creamy.

3. Spoon cream cheese mixture on top of the puff pastry. Do not overfill or else the filling will explode out.

4. Brush top of pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle granulated sugar.

5. Bake at 400° F for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.

6. Let cool for 5 mins, you can dig in but you will burn your tongue because the cheese is so hot.

In the future I will make this again and let you know how the recipe turns out. For now, these are the cheese rolls I made earlier today. On some of them, I put some pear in.

No comments :