Friday, October 24, 2014

Pumpkin

Of recent, I have been making my own pumpkin puree because Frank likes that in his morning oatmeal.  He also likes to buy sugar pumpkins since they are in season being that Fall and Halloween is amongst us.

I roasted these babies up over the weekend so I have the pumpkin puree for the week.  It is really easy to make.  Heat up your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook them for 40 minutes.  Make sure you take out the pumpkin seeds and just lay the halves face down.  Stick a knife through them and it will make taking off the skin much easier.  Then you can simply puree it through a food processor or mash it with a fork or a potato masher.  I wash and let the pumpkin seeds dry and roast them the next day and get roasted pumpkin seeds.  It's a superfood, ya know?

Since I had to roast two pumpkins this week, I had some excess and decided to make some pumpkin pie.  I made a basic pie crust using Laura in the Kitchen's recipe.  The pumpkin pie filling recipe I used came from Chef John from Food Wishes.  I actually only used half of the pie crust that I made and tweaked the filling recipe.  Rather, I used 2 eggs, and pretty much halved everything else for the most part.  If I am so inclined, I might write it up and post it later.  But you can tell, I been kinda getting lazy these days.  Sorry for that!  I ended up with about 12 mini pies and a bonus with the extra filling that I baked in a ramekin and got an extra little treat.  I baked them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, then reduced the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for another 20 minutes.
Mini Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Custard
I was rather pleased with how these turned out.  They aren't too sweet nor are they over seasoned.  It has just the right consistency.

No comments :